Before we dive into the quest of how to make a fruit smoothie, let’s dive into the why.
Our philosophy here at Nourish is that smoothies can be an incredibly nourishing part of your diet. It’s always better to eat whole fruits and veggies where possible. But it’s not always possible!
Smoothies do make it easy to pack in all the nutrients of your favorite produce into one drinkable cup—which is great when you’re on the go or short on time.
And let’s be honest, smoothies are just absolutely delicious! We are big believers that you also need to nourish your soul with your food, and if drinking a perfectly tangy and sweet smoothie brings a smile to your face, then that’s healthy as healthy can be.
Nutritionists agree that incorporating a nutrient-dense smoothie into your daily diet can help avoid weight creepage by keeping hunger levels in check and even promote weight loss thanks to their filling fiber and muscle-building protein.
Making a fruit smoothie is as simple as tossing ingredients in a blender and letting it rip, but we want to make sure you succeed every time, so here’s our exact process:
- Add liquid to your blender. We typically use unsweetened almond milk, but you could use any other kind of milk, fruit juice, or even just water.
- Add in any fibrous foods. If you are adding in spinach or other greens, this is the time to toss them in.
- Add in your frozen fruits and vegetables. We like to keep at least frozen bananas and frozen strawberries on hand for smoothie making. Any frozen fruit works!
- Add any fresh fruits or veggies you’d like to use. Here is where you’ll toss in fresh strawberries or avocado half.
- Top it off with your favorite nutrition mix-ins. Add protein powder, collagen, chia seeds, turmeric—whatever you’d like to boost the nutrition of the smoothie.
- Blend away!
We like to start my blender on low and then slowly ramp-up to full speed. This makes sure everything is mixed well and the blades don’t get stuck. Blend until the smoothie looks silky, and then pour and enjoy